So I often get asked – ‘What is a Sleep Consultant’?
AKA – ‘what do you do?’, ‘do you just tell a parent when to put their baby down?’, or ‘do you tell parents to leave their babies to cry?’……
Or my personal favourite ‘I just worked it out’. If you can just ‘work it out’ then thats great, that obviously suits you and your family, and I wish you the best. However, for many families ‘just working it out’ is not as easy as it sounds. Which is where I come in, and help families and their children to better sleep.
So what is is that I do? As part of the process, I work with families to do the following:
- Assess your child’s sleep needs
- Talk about your challenges and goals
- Review the family dynamic and parenting style
- Review basic aspects of your child’s health
- Create a Step by Step Sleep Plan
- Review your Sleep logs to identify areas for any trends
- Adapt the Sleep Plan as required throughout the support period
- Support you to work through any hiccups or challenges that occur along the way
- Provide you with basic feeding advice
- Rule out any medical or other issue which may affect your child’s sleep
- Give you confidence to help your child’s sleep
- Review up to date science of sleep
- MUCH more – support, advise, counsel, coach, mentor, challenge, nurture…..
So yes, it’s a bit more than advising on nap times, and I often spend a long time considering the best approach for you.
If you want to find out more, or talk about your child’s sleep challenge, please don’t hesitate to get in touch!